Subject access terms and conditions of service
The following terms and conditions relate to the subject access service provided by ACRO Criminal Records Office under the Data Protection Act 2018. Please read these terms and conditions carefully.
1. You have a right to be told whether any information is held about you and a right to a copy of that information.
2. We must provide your information to you within one calendar month from the date that ACRO receives the required documentation.
3. You will be provided with your information only if you have provided satisfactory proof of your identity.
4. The provisions of the Data Protection Act mean that in certain circumstances we will not provide some personal data. You will not be provided with personal data if:
• Releasing it to you would be likely to prejudice a criminal investigation
• It identifies other individuals
1. The information you provide in your request will be used for processing your request and for any other policing purpose.
2. The information supplied within your request and the information on the Police National Computer (PNC) record to which your request relates may be passed to other law enforcement agencies and government organisations in the interests of law enforcement.
3. If you impersonate or attempt to impersonate another person you may be guilty of an offence.
4. We will contact you in the event that we require additional documentation, information or clarification, via phone, email or letter.
5. We reserve the right to request original identity documentation. Where we request original documents they will be returned to you by registered post.
6. We reserve the right to request additional information or clarification. Your request will not be processed without the requested information.
7. If we request additional documentation, information or clarification and you do not reply by the date specified, we will cancel your request.
8. We will save web cookies on your computer or device to store your data whilst you complete your online request. The cookies will be deleted automatically when you submit your request or when your session times out.
9. We will securely store your information on our systems for two years.
10. If you opt to receive your disclosure by email it is your responsibility to ensure that the email address submitted is accurate.
11. We will not accept responsibility for any loss or inappropriate access to disclosures sent by email once they have left our secure network.
1. There is no charge for a subject access request for information held about you on the PNC.
Method of dispatch:
1. All disclosure documents to UK addresses are sent by 2nd class post or 1st class airmail to overseas addresses.
Concerns and disputes:
1. For any concerns regarding our services please contact ACRO Customer Services via email / telephone, or write to: ACRO, PO Box 481, Fareham, Hampshire, PO14 9FS, UK
2. Disputes regarding the information provided to you should be made in writing or via email.
3. ACRO will not be held responsible for errors in records held on the PNC. If you do not agree with the information provided, ACRO will verify that the disclosure is an accurate reflection of (a) the information you have submitted in your request, and (b) the information held on the PNC. If you would like to dispute the information held about you on the PNC, ACRO will refer you to the relevant data owner (usually the police force or agency that created the record).
4. If you are not happy with the resolution of your complaint by ACRO, you can refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO’s website can be found at www.ico.org.uk.